Message from the Principal
January 11, 2018
Next Wednesday is our monthly School Governance Council (SGC) meeting. We gather on or about the 3rd Wednesday of each month to handle our duties as the oversight community for Emerson's site plan and local, state, and federal budgets. All of our meetings are open to the public and we encourage you to attend. We'll be gathering from 5:30-7:00pm in the Emerson Library on Wednesday, January 17th, to continue our review of student performance data, hear updates about safety preparedness and our Emerson Safety and Disaster Plans, as well as hearing updates from parents who attend district committee meetings as representatives of the Emerson community. We hope that you will join us next week.
Upcoming Events & Important Dates
- Thursday, Jan. 11, K info night at Emerson (for prospective K families), 7-8pm
- Friday, Jan. 12, MLK Rally at 8:30am followed by march to College/Ashby
- Friday, Jan. 12, Last day of fall PTA enrichment classes
- Friday, Jan. 12, Free coffee on the yard, 8:00-8:30am
- Friday, Jan. 12, Enrichment Class Performances in the cafetorium, 5-6pm
- Monday, Jan. 15, No School (MLK day)
- Wednesday, Jan. 17, SGC meeting in the library, 5:30pm - all welcome
- Friday, Jan. 19, Free coffee on the yard, 8:00-8:30am
- Monday, Jan. 22, Spring Enrichment Class Registration Opens
- Friday, Jan. 26, Free coffee on the yard (8:00-8:30, free)
- Monday, Jan. 29, No School (Staff development day)
Find more dates/details: https://emerson.berkeleypta.org/calendar
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."
-- Martin Luther King Jr. from Strength to Love, 1963
Free Pancakes for Everyone!
Come enjoy some pancakes and sausages on Saturday, February 3, from 8:30-10:30am when the PTA hosts its annual pancake breakfast!! The entire Emerson community is invited to this special winter event so pack up the kids and come hungry. Interested in volunteering? Sign up here: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F44A9A82BA3FA7-pancake3
Hey Fifth Grade Families!
Don’t forget to check out middle school information on BUSD’s website (google: “steps to Middle School Enrollment”). The last South zone info. night will be held on Wednesday, January 17th at 7pm at Longfellow Middle School. Applications are due February 2nd.
Emerson’s Auction Party - Save the Date!
Emerson’s 2018 Auction Party will be on March 23rd from 6-9pm and it’s going to be out of this world!
The Auction Party is Emerson’s #1 fun opportunity for grown ups!
We'll have food, cocktails, and music - and loads of opportunities to bid on amazing items and support our school.Please mark your calendars:
Emerson’s Auction Party
Friday, March 23rd, 6-9pm
St John's Church (just 1 block from Emerson)
FREE childcare provided by Kids World
Auction Volunteers Needed
We’re looking for parent volunteers to:
- Create our first ever Wine Wall
- Ask local businesses for donations (We have all the materials. We just need folks to take a neighborhood stroll and encourage your favorite business to support our school.)
- Plan the food and drinks for the Auction Party
- Decorate the party space
Interested? Sign up at http://bit.ly/AuctionCommittee and help make the 2018 Emerson Auction a success! For more info, contact Christina Collinsworth, Auction Lead, at Christina.Marie8908@gmail.com or 925.719.2322.
Weekly Zumba Classes
Emerson Community Adults are welcome to join us in the Cafetorium for weekly Zumba classes, led by our own Kirstin Snyder! $5 per class, Wed. 5:15 – 6:15 (no childcare).
Shop for Emerson!
Click below to raise money for Emerson when you shop at Amazon
Find Emerson Online
Email: Not getting BearFacts via email? Email us to subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/emersonpta (or follow @emersonPTA)
About BearFacts News:
BearFacts News is a weekly publication created by parent volunteers. It is distributed each Thursday in students' Look Folders and via email.
If you have a news item or announcement to include in the BearFacts News, please send an email to email@example.com. Please keep your message brief and include all the pertinent details including dates, times, locations and contact information. The deadline is each Monday at 6 p.m.
Copyright © 2017. Emerson Elementary PTA. All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
2800 Forest Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94705