March 29, 2018
Message from the Principal
As you head off for Spring Break, I want to give you a quick update. Next year, we will be hiring a full time, credentialed PE teacher to provide physical education classes for all of our students. All of the elementary schools in Berkeley will also need PE teachers. So, it would be to our benefit to find some possible candidates very quickly. If you know of individuals who might interested and who have their PE single subject credential, please encourage them to email me at email@example.com. Spread the word please.
Finally, I can't begin to thank all the individual people who helped create yet another awesome Spring Auction so please let me say, to the whole crew, you folks are amazing. I know there was tons of planning, preparation, and just plain old hard work that went into this event, and what a fine event it was. Food was yummy, drinks were delicious, and auction were items plentiful -- great fun overall. Thank you to each and every one who pitched in and to all of you who attended. A special thank you to teachers for all the events they sponsored and for attending as well. I appreciate you all so much -- now go and rest and have a wonderful Spring Break!
Upcoming Events & Important Dates
- Friday, March 30, Free coffee & pastries on the yard, 8am; All School meeting 8:30am
- Friday, March 30, César Chávez Day of Service & Learning
- Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6, NO SCHOOL (Spring Break)
- Friday, April 13, Free coffee & pastries on the yard, 8am; All School meeting 8:30am
- Friday, April 20 – Sunday, April 29 Emerson Read-a-thon
- Wednesday, April 25, School Governance Council Meeting, 5:30pm
- Weekly Zumba Classes, Wednesdays 5:15 – 6:15; $5 per class (no childcare)
Find more dates/details: https://emerson.berkeleypta.org/calendar
Black History Oratorical Festival and Competition
Last week we sent two teams to represent Emerson in the district- wide, elementary-aged Black History Oratorical Festival and Competition. We are thrilled to announce that our teams received awards in both the group and individual categories. Kian Malcolm and Cormac Lee were awarded 3rd place in the group category! Ashea Nigeria-Arusha was awarded 1st place in the individual category! Both teams performed amazing original pieces. They will perform their pieces at the all school meeting this Friday.Congratulations Ashea, Cormac and Kian!
Join the PTA Board
The Emerson PTA Board is a diverse group of volunteers who meet monthly to oversee the planning and organization of community events and fundraisers, as well as plan and implement the PTA budget. We are looking to fill the following PTA Board positions for the 2018-2019 school year.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to any current Board Member to ask any questions or express your interest as soon as possible.
VP of School Support and Academic Enrichment
(1 or 2 positions available)
- Oversees and provides support as needed to the afterschool enrichment coordinators
- Coordinates support for school events, such as cultural events, Hour of Code, the Winter Performance, and the Math Wall
- Oversees principal, teacher and staff appreciation events in the spring
VP of Community Outreach
(1 position available)
- Manages PTA membership drive
- Oversees and provides support for the incoming kindergarten events (summer playdates, kindergarten fair, kindergarten night, kindergarten tours, kindergarten buddy program)
VP of Advocacy
(1 position available)
- Keeps abreast of issues in education and local/state PTA initiatives; organizes parents to support CA PTA initiatives or local issues, as needed
- Attends PTA Council and District meetings and reports back to the Emerson community
Meet children’s book author Jason Reynolds on March 29th!
Celebrate two new titles from Newbery-winner and National Book Award finalist, Jason Reynolds: Sunny, the third book in the Track series and For Every One, a stirring and inspirational poem. Free event, but to reserve your seat buy a book at Mrs. Dalloway’s orhttp://www.mrsdalloways.com. Or if you don’t want to buy a book in advance, RSVP atjasonreynoldsmrsd.eventbrite.com.
March 29th at 6:30pm at Mrs. Dalloway’s bookstore, 2904 College Ave.
Help Build an Elementary School Library in Ghana!
Fourth graders are leading a school-wide book donation drive through the African Library Project to help build an elementary school library for children in Ghana. They are in need of gently used, or new books that are appropriate for grades K-5. You can drop off at either 4th grade classroom, or at the main book donation bin in our office of parent engagement, near the front of the school by Friday, April 13. For more information or if you’d like to help out please reach out to Tangy Franks at email@example.com.
Weekly Zumba at Emerson: 5:15-6:15 pm; $5 per class (no childcare).
Remember: Next week is SPRING BREAK!!
Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6, NO SCHOOL
Shop for Emerson!
Click here to raise money for Emerson when you shop at Amazon
Find Emerson Online
Email: Not getting BearFacts via email? Email us to subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/emersonpta (or follow @emersonPTA)
About BearFacts News:
BearFacts News is a weekly publication created by parent volunteers. It is distributed each Thursday in students' Look Folders and via email.
If you have a news item or announcement to include in the BearFacts News, please send an email to email@example.com. Please keep your message brief and include all the pertinent details including dates, times, locations and contact information. The deadline is each Monday at 6 p.m.
Copyright © 2018. Emerson Elementary PTA. All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
2800 Forest Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94705